Our Covenant & Vision
Village Church, along with our sister congregations throughout the United Church of Christ, is what we call a covenantal community. That is, we are united not by adherence to precisely the same creed, nor by shared background or credentials, but by our free and voluntary entrance into a shared covenant. Whenever a new member joins Village Church, the entire congregation reaffirms our covenant and strengthens the ties that bind us to one another and to God.
Our Church Covenant
We are banded together as a Christian Church
to maintain the worship of God,
to proclaim the gospel of Christ,
to develop in all people a consciousness of their relations and duties
to God and to each other, and
to inspire them with love for truth, passion for righteousness,
and enthusiasm for service.
To this end we pledge our loyalty to Christ and covenant with each other
to express His spirit in our individual and corporate life;
to live together as Christians and to submit ourselves to the government of this Church,
working, giving, praying for its increase, its purity, its peace,
and seeking in every way to make it a power
for the building up of the kingdom of God.
Our Church Vision
Our vision, hope, and purpose is to experience and express the Spirit of Christ in our individual lives and in our congregational life together. Toward that end, we seek in every way and in every setting to nurture growth in faith by:
- Bonding Together in Community. When we come together in community, we deepen our relationships with God and with one another in ways that help deepen our faith.
- Glorifying God through Worship. We come to offer our praise to God and, in the process, find ourselves addressed by God. In worship, we come to offer the gift of ourselves and, in turn, receive the gift of God’s own self.
- Learning the Christian Gospel and Practices. We seek to learn the Christian Gospel and practices so that we might draw on the riches of our tradition. Such learning is not a mere intellectual exercise. We learn so that our lives can be shaped by what we learn.
- Manifesting Enthusiasm for Service. Service is the giving of time, talents, and money to benefit others. We seek to serve as Jesus served, and to be transformed by the encounter.
- Sharing Our Faith. We seek to share with others what has been shared with us. In listening to others, and in sharing our faith with others, our own faith is strengthened.