Position: Facilities Manager
Reports to: Church Administrator
Position Status: Part-time Exempt (12 months with no overtime pay)
Annual Salary Range: $36,000 – $40,000 (based on experience)
Hours Per Week: 24 (0.6 FTE)
Weekly Schedule: 4 – 5 day work week (typical start time 8:00am)
Accrued Vacation Time: 1 vacation day for each month (up to 5 days in first year)
Accrued Sick Time: 1 sick day for each month (up to 5 days in first year)
The Facilities Manager (FM) oversees the safety, security, maintenance and repair of all church property, both interior and exterior seeking proactively to prevent major system disruptions or disrepair. The FM reports directly to the Church Administrator (CA) and works in conjunction with staff and lay leadership. The two Sextons onsite report to the CA. The CA will coordinate the Sextons’ daily cleaning work and set-up for events, while the FM will coordinate the maintenance work executed by the Sexton’s.
In addition, the FM may occasionally be asked to perform additional tasks by the Board of Properties, the CA or Pastoral Staff.
Role and Responsibilities Description:
Who You Are:
- You must be supportive of the vision, mission, values, and ethos of the church • You will be expected to comply with the Church’s Employee Code of Conduct • You are supportive of the church’s commitment to be better stewards of God’s creation through increased energy efficiency and use of renewable energy sources • You are an expert in facilities operations and thrive when others are relying on you• Intensely service minded; prior experience working in a church a plus • Self-driven and independent with exceptional communication and collaboration skills • Positive, high energy • High attention to detail • Able to multitask and adapt quickly in high-distraction, ever-changing environments
What you Do:
- Key Priorities:
- Direct, facilitate and implement preventative maintenance programs and service (scheduled or reactive) and regular inspections to assure that facilities systems operate efficiently and remain in good condition and are compliant with all applicable codes
- Maintain a detailed record of all building systems preventative maintenance services including mechanical, electrical, plumbing, HVAC and security systems
- Maintain a detailed record of all trades and preventative maintenance schedules and contracts with their corresponding vendors and contractors
- Maintain and update building systems manuals and building schematics as appropriate
- Manage the upkeep of building interiors and exteriors including painting, flooring and slate roof repairs
- Create a facilities budget in collaboration with the Board of Properties (BOP) and effectively monitor spending
- Keep the CA and BOP informed of any potential problems, including: building damage, security issues, public health safety issues and general safety.
- Attend BOP meetings and provide input and regular updates
- Support BOP initiatives and help manage the implementation of all capital improvements. This includes defining specifications, identifying contractors or alternative solutions, soliciting bids, and evaluating proposals and solutions.
- Responsible for ensuring all building inspections and periodic services are conducted, and serves as the point of contact for the Wellesley Fire Department, fire alarm, AED, extermination, elevators, and for contractors who come on-site
- Be responsive and communicate effectively to any facilities crisis
- Responsible for the organization and maintenance of an effective call tree, which includes yourself, to deal with after-hours facility issues such as the fire alarm, security or HVAC systems
- Work with HVAC contractor(s) to maintain two oil fired hot water boilers and seven RTU’s for heating and cooling. Maintain a record of utility usage and provide periodic reports.
- Responsible for negotiating contracts with vendors and contractors, as well as office equipment and church rentals, with assistance of BOP as needed
- Responsible for supervision of general maintenance and landscaping of the grounds around the buildings including lawn mowing, leaf cleanup and snow removal. Ensure the grounds look kempt and pleasing to enjoy.
- Responsible for the supervision of general upkeep and care of the Churchyard and cemetery, including the church’s Memorial Path
- Collaborate with the CA to coordinate the Sexton team to ensure building preparation for all church activities, event or tenant rental needs
- Execute all duties and responsibilities in a safe and timely manner
- Take initiative and have ability to work independently with minimal supervision and execute tasks and responsibilities as directed by the CA and BOP; be forward thinking about environmental issues and the church’s commitment to them
- While performing the duties of this position, the individual may need to lift equipment, furniture, and materials weighing 50 pounds or more; crawl, climb ladders, twist, turn, and reach in completing variety of job duties; work outside in hot or cold conditions for extended periods of time and work in a wide variety of environments as found in all areas of the church.
- Minimum 2-5 years of experience in facility management or closely related field, or equivalent education and training
- Experience in negotiating contracts with vendors and trades
- Experience in developing maintenance programs and working within a budget
- Experience in working collaboratively with staff and volunteers
- Staff supervisory experience a plus
- Adaptable with technology and adept with utilizing Microsoft Office and systems control software
- Must be reliable, timely, communicate effectively and professionally
About Us and Brief History: WVC dates back to 1798, and is located in the center of Wellesley, MA. After a fire burned the church building to the ground in 1916, its present brick edifice was constructed in the early 1920’s. WVC underwent a major $10 million renovation and expansion in 2002. The current church facility consists of the Sanctuary, Chapel, Classrooms, Common Spaces, a commercial kitchen and Offices which total approximately 50,000 square feet. The Church and Cemetery are listed as a National Historic Site.
To Apply: For interested applicants, please send your résumé, cover letter and three references to email@example.com