100 Years Ago – A New Cornerstone in a New Sanctuary from Historian Brad Harding
October 13, 2022
October 12th, 1922: For more than 70 months, Village Church had lived without a home of its own. After the disastrous fire at the end of 1916, the congregation had found shelter as guests for worship in other churches around Wellesley. Meetings were held in private homes and even in the Wellesley Town Hall. Members learned that the long time without a building was that and little more – they were still a church, a thriving community of faith that had carried on its wide mission of love and service.
Now, on October 12, one-hundred years ago, a definite step was taking place. With an elaborate worship service, the new cornerstone was being laid right where it rests today in the building just taking shape. It would be less than one more year before the sanctuary would be completed and dedicated. In a real sense, Village Church had a new view of its future.
Cornerstones are both part of a foundation and a place to keep relics that are considered important at the time it is laid. Included here is the list of what members in 1922 wanted us who have followed to remember Together they form a symbol of our church’s strength. In the coming months, more items will be displayed to commemorate the anniversary of our present sanctuary.